Transferring a non-UK domain to Freethought
- 15/10/2021 23:42
Transferring a domain to Freethought is easy, you just need to follow the instructions below. Note that to transfer a domain you must also renew it, this isn't a cost to transfer as what you are paying is the same as a regular renewal price and adds 1 year to your existing domain registration period.
- Contact your existing domain registrar and request the domains EPP code, sometimes called an authorisation code. You may be able to do this online.
- Whilst speaking with your current registrar ask them to disable the registrar lock on the domain to allow a domain transfer to occur and also ask them to update the domain contact details to your correct information. You may be able to do this online.
- Login to your account in the customer portal at https://portal.freethought.uk or open a new account if you don't have one already.
- Go to https://portal.freethought.uk/cart.php?a=add&domain=transfer
- Enter in the details of the domain which you want to transfer and follow the order process to completio, entering in the EPP code you were given in Step 1 when requested.
- Once your order has been submitted the domain administration contact will receive an email from us confirming that you wish to transfer, this is most likely your email address. Confirm the transfer by following the steps in the email.
- Next your existing registrar will probably email asking you to confirm the transfer, again follow their instructions to confirm.
- Wait patiently. Once the transfer is confirmed it will take around 5 days to complete, we'll email you when it's done.
Some registrars don't make it easy to get your EPP code. Here are some links to help articles for popular domain registrars on how to change the IPS tag and transfer your UK domain to Freethought
How do I get my EPP code from my current registrar?
- 123-reg - https://www.123-reg.co.uk/support/answers/Domain-Transfers/Transfers-Out/how-do-i-obtain-the-authorisationepp-code-for-my-domain-name-293/
- GoDaddy - https://uk.godaddy.com/help/get-an-authorization-code-for-transfers-1685
- Ionos by 1&1 - https://www.ionos.co.uk/help/domains/transferring-your-domain-away-from-ionos-to-another-provider/getting-the-authorisation-code-for-your-domain-with-11-ionos/
- NamesCo - http://www.names.co.uk/support/1153-transferring_a_domain_name_away_from_namesco.html
- Heart Internet - https://www.heartinternet.uk/support/article/how-do-i-transfer-my-gtld-domain-name-out-of-my-account.html
- FastHosts - https://help.fasthosts.co.uk/app/answers/detail/a_id/252/~/transferring-international-domains-away-from-fasthosts
- LCN - https://www.lcn.com/support/articles/how-to-transfer-your-domain-name-away-from-us
- UK2 - https://www.uk2.net/knowledgebase/spaces/flyingpdf/pdfpageexport.action?pageId=1015845 (PDF Download)
- Gandi - https://docs.gandi.net/en/domain_names/transfer_out/auth_info.html
- Wix - https://support.wix.com/en/article/transferring-your-wix-domain-away-from-wix-2477749
- Google - https://support.google.com/domains/answer/3251178?hl=en-GB
Once a transfer has been initiated the domain cannot be updated or changed in any way. So if your ultimate aim is to transfer the domain to Freethought to use with a new hosting package then you should update the name servers to those provided in your welcome email first, then once that is done initiate the transfer. This way you can start using your domain with your new hosting whilst the domain completes the transfer process. If you start the transfer first you'll have to wait 5 days before you can update the name servers.
Important note about nameservers!
Another important thing to remember, once the transfer of a domain is complete we will NOT update the name servers to ours automatically. If you want to use your domain with Freethought hosting then remmeber to go into your account and update the nameservers to ours once your domain transfer has completed.